A vegetarian take on the Italian classic, this simple elegant recipe takes the humble aubergine to new levels...
Crunchy breadcrumbs. buttery silky aubergine, tangy tomato sauce, salty parmesan - what could be better?
Inspired by sovegan's Instagram recipe, we incorporated our nutritious, high protein, lentil and cauliflower tagliatelle to create a dish that will have you feeling as good as it tastes!
1 Pack Sunny & Luna Lentil and Cauliflower Tagliatelle
salt + pepper
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp plain flour, or cornflour
3 tbsp plant-based milk
40g (1.4oz) Panko breadcrumbs (or crushed vegan friendly cornflakes can be used as a replacement if not…) (2/3 cup)
3 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 x 400g tin of whole tomatoes
1 handful of fresh basil
extra basil leaves
parmesan or your favourite vegan alternative
a drizzle of olive oil
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C (fan) or 400°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Begin by preparing the aubergine. Trim off the ends and cut it into two slices, each about 2cm thick. Season each slice with salt, pepper, and dried oregano.
3. Place flour on a large plate and pour milk into a large, shallow bowl. Dip the aubergine slices first into the flour, followed by the milk, and then coat them in a crumb mixture.
4. In a frying pan, heat some olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the aubergine slices and cook for 2 minutes on each side. Then, transfer them to the prepared baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the aubergine becomes tender.
5. While the aubergine is baking, wipe the frying pan clean and return it to medium heat. Add garlic and cook for a minute. Then, add tinned tomatoes, oregano, salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar. Cook for 10-12 minutes over low-medium heat.
6. Chop most of the basil, saving a few leaves for garnish, and stir it into the tomato sauce. Break down any whole tomatoes, and then transfer the cooked pasta to the pan.
7. Boil your fresh, high-protein lentil tagliatelle for just 4 minutes. Remove it from the heat, drain, and then stir it into the sauce.
8. Slice the aubergine and serve it on top of the pasta. Finish with freshly ground black pepper, a drizzle of olive oil, grated vegan parmesan, and the remaining basil leaves for garnish.