Celebrate spooky season by preparing this scarily good pumpkin gnocchi! Nourishing, comforting and packed full of seasonal herbs and spices, this recipe is a full-proof way to sneak in some vegetables amidst endless Halloween treats.
Inspired by Perry Santanachote's recipe for theKitchn, we found that the addition of nutmeg and Sunny & Luna natural and nutritious cauliflower gnocchi makes for the perfect autumnal dinner...
2 Pack Sunny & Luna Cauliflower Gnocchi
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 (15-ounce) can crushed or diced tomatoes
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin purée
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons apple cider or white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/4 teaspoon dried sage
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup heavy cream (or your favourite vegan nut milk)
1/4 cup water
toasted pumpkin seeds (or whatever seeds you can find in your cupboard)
1. Begin by melting 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat it in 30-second intervals until fully melted, which should take about 1 minute in total.
2. In a blender, combine the tomatoes, pumpkin purée, sugar, herbs, spices and melted butter. Blend until you achieve a smooth and consistent sauce.
3. Transfer the sauce from the blender into a medium-sized saucepan and heat it over medium heat. Allow it to warm through and let the flavours meld together, which should take around 5 to 10 minutes. The sauce will thicken further, but add up to 1/4 cup of water if you would prefer a slightly looser sauce. Add 1/4 cup of heavy cream to the sauce and stir it in to create a creamy texture.
4. Pan fry your healthy cauliflower gnocchi with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Cook for 5 minutes until crispy and golden brown.
5. Enjoy your homemade pumpkin pasta, a delicious and comforting dish that's perfect for autumn!